Skip to main content

'Epifanie' at Galleria Duemila

"Above these two figures is an inverted man in red, mounted on the topmost spot of this most incredible retablo. Together with the five totem-like figures flanking the frames of the top two panels, this “fallen angel” of sorts invites viewers to rethink individually-held cosmologies and in so doing perhaps arrive at new epiphanies in perceiving the divine."


EPONA BLESSING NO. 2, Duddley Diaz, 2008, polychrome wood (limewood) acrylic+silver and gold leaf, 19.86"x18.32"3.15"

AN epiphany is “an intuitive grasp of reality” through a simple or striking event. It is “an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure” embedded in and born of a most meaningful yet sudden scene or moment. Galleria Duemila invites all to Epifanie: Manifestations of the Sacred, featuring the works of Tuscanny-based Filipino sculptor Duddley Diaz. Diaz essays the divine through traditional iconography, as well as through his appropriations of sacred icons of indigenous and foreign origins.

Diaz’s rendition of the divine is decidedly syncretic. He skirts in and out of belief systems as easily as he does the media of painting and sculpture. Perhaps this should be expected of a Filipino who has become, in the best sense of the phrase, “a man of the world,” rooted in his own culture and tempered by the discipline offered by Europa. The total effect he produces in his works betrays no confusion or inner conflict. There is hardly an element of disarray in his compositions. Instead, a casual symmetry of lines in counterpoint to well-placed primary colors that ultimately cause the eye to explore playfully textured planes, emerges in a most uncontrived manner...folk in ease, but at the same time surrealist in depth.

This folk-surrealist effect can best be seen in Epifanie. The title piece is a veritable retablo of incongruity and fervor in faith. At first glance, the viewer’s eyes are attracted by a bas relief panel of blue and white at the second level of the composition from the base. This panel of three frames depicts Mary’s epiphany—her most miraculous bearing of the word made flesh, the nativity, and her final suffering as la pieta, holding the dead body of Christ. The depiction resembles Matisse’s dance series where the cut-out paper-like figures boldly contrast with the unpainted background. The other panels are not as bold but nonetheless are as intriguing. Below Mary’s epiphany is what appears to be Adam in naked repose with Eve unceremoniously (or perhaps even excruciatingly) emerging from his left rib. The denizens of this endemic Eden, carabaos, pigs and ducks, surround the undisturbed body of the Creator’s first “trustee.”

Above the panel depicting Mary’s epiphany are two “mother figures.” The one to the left has multiple breasts, a characteristic of fertility goddesses found all over Asia with its oldest forms in terra cotta unearthed in the ruins of the Harrapan and Mohenjo-daro civilizations of the Indus Valley, now in Pakistan, dating to some 3,000 years ago. The figure to the right sporting a red face is more difficult to identify. Her pregnant figure, however, implies her significant role as a vessel or a “birther” of creation. Above these two figures is an inverted man in red, mounted on the topmost spot of this most incredible retablo. Together with the five totem-like figures flanking the frames of the top two panels, this “fallen angel” of sorts invites viewers to rethink individually-held cosmologies and in so doing perhaps arrive at new epiphanies in perceiving the divine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phrases for Public Speakers at Sea

by M. B. Powell We ought, first of all, to note her oceanic eyes flecked with sea wrack. And we should pause to consider the wavy wilderness of her damp hair. I will not dwell on her cheeks ruddy under my thumbstrokes. I will not attempt to explain the shapely abalone shells of her ears. I wish to call your attention to the cunning animal of her mouth, muscular. I wish to say something about the mollusky dark language of her kisses. I am obliged to mention her sudden breasts, breaching, rhythmic. And I am perfectly astounded at her finger charting my lips round her nipple. Here, in this connection, let us notice her nipple against the roof of my mouth. Here, in passing, let us observe ...

The Moonflowers

It's as if the dark, which had before just been context, gave to vulnerability a permission, almost: fleshy saucers of spilled cream, so many parchment fists, unfisting; and now, in pieces, the delicate mask of an indifference offered radically up against what, each time, seems as unthinkable, as unexpected, as when, in the long dream of retraction, that sea that is finally not a sea, but what else to call it, begins again its shifting, and though to every push of the will forward there's something noble—which is to say, something lonely, also—it's too late. Carl Phillips Speak Low Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Discovery

I believe in the great discovery. I believe in the man who will make the discovery. I believe in the terror of the man who will make the discovery. I believe in the pallor of his face, the nausea, the cold sweat on his lip. I believe in the burning of the notes, the burning of them ashes, the burning of every last one. I believe in the scattering of the numbers, the scattering of them with no regret. I believe in the quickness of the man, the precision of his movements, his uncoerced free will. I believe in the smashing of the tablets, the pouring out of the liquids, the extinguishing of the ray. I assert that all will work out, and that it will not be too late, and that things will unfold in the absence of witnesses. No one will find out, of that I am sure, neither wife nor wall, not even bird, for it may well sing. I believe in the stayed hand, I believe in the ruined career, I believe in the wasted labor of many years. I believe in the secret taken to the grave. For me these words ...