Skip to main content

Horizontally, I Moved

I let my raw voice rise
but I was chastised, asked to hold my tongue.

I couldn't see the scenery for wings.
What good is blocked out paradise?

And hour after hour to hear that
pallid music: dull, facetious

words repeated to the same
sweet harmonies, like the manna that rained

constantly to feed us.
—I was bored. I tore a feather from one wing

and laid it on his throne, blood tipping
the quill. God found the trifle

and spent light rifling feathers to detect
a spot of loss. So I confessed:

I'd pulled it out for no good reason
except my discontent. He threw me

violently into chaos. Wracked with soot,
my lush wings locked;

now I could only lower myself slowly
and sink until I glimpsed reflected rays

in one thin strand of river through the garden.
This seemed a lasting shape

so I chose that for my seduction's
body: sinuous bolts with skin like waves

of water. Horizontally, I moved.


Lisa Williams

Woman Reading to the Sea
W. W. Norton & Company

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOPPING for HOME GYM EQUIPMENT! (+70% Sneaker SALE at Toby's)

MICE at Apsara Angkor Resort and Conference Center

Photo: Standard room; bath MICE stands for Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions. It’s an important industry because  MICE  visitors are usually on business and often spend more than leisure travelers. Meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions, or Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Events (MICE) is a type of tourism in which large groups, usually planned well in advance, are brought together for a particular purpose. Meeting  – Is a general term indicating the coming together of a number of people in one place, to confer or carry out a particular activity.  Incentive  – Meeting event as part of a programme which is offered to its participants to reward a previous performance. Conference  – Participatory meeting designed for discussion, fact-finding, problem solving and consultation. As compared with a congress, a conference is normally smaller in scale and more select in character – features which tend to facilitate the exchange of in

Bai - AFTERIMAGE