Skip to main content

Many Feathers


Many feathers. In the silence of many feathers.
- Robert Bly

Today my window spoke to me
in the language of leaves,
told me of gravity and the tired
hands of twilight day after day
pulling at the trees’ thousand fingers,
the trees with their lifetime of cycles,
the wind, its invisible wings.

I have seen things only words
will outlive
, it said. But even words
kneel before the silence of feathers.
Once a poet peered inside the hollow
of a tree and discovered words,
and now I steal from him, repeat
his curved consonants, the illusion
of presence. In the secret,
dim light I run my hands over
the carcass of some dead creature
he might have seen
still heaving its last sighs.

A window knows nothing
of the sorrows of speech,
the weight of things breaking
as wind carries them away
from tongue. Darkness
moves against darkness,
night dresses its sleepy body
in shadows, whispers its stories,
and my window speaks
what it sees. While I see
only what is spoken:

A poet peers inside a tree and sees
carvings across the corridors of a temple.
I walk down a temple’s corridors
and see the silhouette of a crow,
many feathers, a door
swinging idly in its jamb. I see
wide windows and leaves fluttering
in their furtive language. Leave
me be, then, so that I may speak,
and you may see. The curtains are drawn,
and so let the sounds call forth things,
and let them break, let their shards
wound our ears.
Let all things broken
heal as they please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phrases for Public Speakers at Sea

by M. B. Powell We ought, first of all, to note her oceanic eyes flecked with sea wrack. And we should pause to consider the wavy wilderness of her damp hair. I will not dwell on her cheeks ruddy under my thumbstrokes. I will not attempt to explain the shapely abalone shells of her ears. I wish to call your attention to the cunning animal of her mouth, muscular. I wish to say something about the mollusky dark language of her kisses. I am obliged to mention her sudden breasts, breaching, rhythmic. And I am perfectly astounded at her finger charting my lips round her nipple. Here, in this connection, let us notice her nipple against the roof of my mouth. Here, in passing, let us observe ...

The Moonflowers

It's as if the dark, which had before just been context, gave to vulnerability a permission, almost: fleshy saucers of spilled cream, so many parchment fists, unfisting; and now, in pieces, the delicate mask of an indifference offered radically up against what, each time, seems as unthinkable, as unexpected, as when, in the long dream of retraction, that sea that is finally not a sea, but what else to call it, begins again its shifting, and though to every push of the will forward there's something noble—which is to say, something lonely, also—it's too late. Carl Phillips Speak Low Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Caffeine

Because you do not know me, Francezca, you have every reason to be afraid— afraid because, while you are sleeping, I can be the moon, peeping in from out your window like some lonely lunar voyeur, or some rusty blade or kitchen knife when you feel like ending your life with a quick slash or laceration; because, when you wake up, I can be the toothbrush dangling silently in your bathroom, or the forlorn cotton bud preparing to rid your ears of dust and excessive earwax. This is no time to relax, Francezca— I can be anywhere anytime, anyone and anything you cannot even begin to imagine: the whipped cream on your waffle, the mothballs in your closet, the card tag of your tea bag, the jaundiced shade of moonlight, the moon-cake you hate, the steady staccato of rain, the flush’s fecal fouette, the hair inside your nose, your lip, your mole, black hair and brown irises, white teeth and red gums, your scalp, your skin, even your toenails. What is scary, Francezca, is the fact that you don’t e...