Skip to main content

Slept

The thorns had hands. The fire stood still.
It will take a hundred years

to piece together a hundred dreams.
A room of ashes was a room outspun.

Mother says the heart is a wheel

and it will turn as I turn. Quickly.
Nightly. I married the owl.

_______
I told her I could not walk,

the walls circled my steps. I told her
my flesh became stone and I did not

bleed blood, but sound.
What sound? I could not describe it;

it was voiceless

and low. But it was not.
Mostly I was not alone in my solitude.

My breath became the ghost of me

or the ghost of an old man
I'd long forgotten,
a midnight grandfather.

Pages of thoughts, they were not mine,
though my hand mastered

their language. I told her

I cannot howl winsomely
like vixens.
Like thieves. I wandered the forest,

fingering every loose twig,
but I was sleeping. My hand,

good as air, was sleeping.

_______
In my sleep, I wrote the field guide:
red-winged dream, tufted dream.

One was of salt,

one without hunger—a forest

of three-leaved trees.
I thought I knew everything.

My bed sat alone amongst the sassafras.
A fox, mid-pace and mid-bark, stopped

statue-like on a patch of moss.

I was watcher,

or maker. Yellow-bellied
dream, mourning dream.

Each thing I saw: a seed to a self.

Inside a girl stirred restless as rain.
I could not see her. I only grew.

Mother says when the basket's full,
it is time to come home.

_______
Asleep, I lived

in silence, but in light.

What if waking were a room
black as the mind? Hornbilled dream,

Steller's dream. And the body,

a darkness there is no memory of.


Jennifer Chang

The History of Anonymity
The University of Georgia Press

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOPPING for HOME GYM EQUIPMENT! (+70% Sneaker SALE at Toby's)

MICE at Apsara Angkor Resort and Conference Center

Photo: Standard room; bath MICE stands for Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions. It’s an important industry because  MICE  visitors are usually on business and often spend more than leisure travelers. Meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions, or Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Events (MICE) is a type of tourism in which large groups, usually planned well in advance, are brought together for a particular purpose. Meeting  – Is a general term indicating the coming together of a number of people in one place, to confer or carry out a particular activity.  Incentive  – Meeting event as part of a programme which is offered to its participants to reward a previous performance. Conference  – Participatory meeting designed for discussion, fact-finding, problem solving and consultation. As compared with a congress, a conference is normally smaller in scale and more select in character – features which tend to facilitate the exchange of in

Bai - AFTERIMAGE